Batting Away The Life Preserver
It is not unusual to find individuals and organizations who will resist rescue. Some of the reasons for this odd behavior are:
- They are waiting for another form of rescue - one more to their liking - and are willing to risk disaster in order to get their preference.
- They don't believe they need any assistance.
- Acknowledging the need for rescue goes against one of their core beliefs. They have a personal investment in the beliefs that produced, or will produce, disaster.
- They think that rejecting rescue will only result in a mild setback and not a full-blown disaster.
- Their mindset is so positive that it will not accept that disaster is possible.
- They regard disaster as a form of penance they must pay for past sins.
- They fear success.