Eisenhower's general plan to win the war in Europe beginning with the Normandy Invasion:
- Land on the Normandy coast.
- Build up the resources needed for a decisive battle in the Normandy-Brittany region.
- Pursue on a broad front with two army groups - one to gain necessary ports and reach the boundaries of Germany and threaten the Ruhr, and the other to link up with forces to invade France from the south.
- Secure ports in Belgium, Brittany, and the Mediterranean and build up a base along the western border of Germany.
- While building up forces, keep up an unrelenting offensive to wear down the enemy and gain advantages for the final fight.
- Complete the destruction of enemy forces west of the Rhine, while constantly seeking beachheads across the river.
- Launch the final attack as a double envelopment of the Ruhr, and follow up with an immediate thrust through Germany.
- Clean out the remainder of Germany.