I suspect that in most organizations:
- Supervisors hire too quickly and fire too slowly.
- Performance evaluations are grossly inflated.
- Executives are in serious need of candor.
- The HR people spend too much time on the clerk and cop roles and not enough time as a consultant.
- The application process is heavily weighted against the convenience of the applicant.
- Managers don't know the difference between EEO, Affirmative Action, and Diversity Management.
- By the time HR gets information it's too late for meaningful action
- Managers and supervisors don't have enough time to think.
- Excellent employees resign and no serious effort is made to keep them.
- Jerks are kept if their numbers look good.