Silence is not always neutral. Consider:
- The person who stands by and says and does nothing when an injustice is done.
- A policy that doesn't permit discussion of a topic because it is a belief is favoring another belief that prohibits such discussion.
- The idea that one can discuss the process of getting a job but not the values required to get and keep that job is in essence accepting the applicant's current values.
- The person whose silence implies assent to a proposal.
- The person whose silence implies assent to a proposal but who secretly opposes that proposal.
- The individual who believes that being nonjudgmental is ethically appropriate in all circumstances.