This is from a quiz that I use in classes on discretion. The answers are at the bottom of the post.
On some days, life needs a rewind button. Who said the following?
- “Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can’t help but cry. I mean I’d love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff."
- “Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.”
- Referred to the retirement community of Leisure World as “Seizure World.”
- “Everybody knows [Hitler] was good at the beginning but he just went too far.”
- “I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies.”
- Repeatedly referred to an NAACP audience as “You people.”
- “If you’ve seen one slum, you’ve seen them all.”
- Told a 13-year-old who expressed interest in being an astronaut, “You’ll have to lose a bit of weight first.”
- "I drank a fair amount of Scotch on an empty stomach and a colleague and I ended up dancing on a tabletop to 'She Drives Me Crazy' by the Fine Young Cannibals. For weeks after that, everyone who had been at the party started humming the tune whenever I walked into a room. It was funny but I don't think it did my career any good."
- “We have every kind of mix you can have. I have a black, I have a woman, two Jews and a cripple. And we have talent.”
- “It’s the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the [Number] 7 train to the ball park, looking like you’re [riding through] Beirut next to some kid with purple hair…next to some dude who got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It’s depressing.”
- “We’re going to Hymietown.”
[Answers: (1) Mariah Carey; (2) Marion Barry; (3) John McCain; (4) Marge Schott; (5) Hillary Clinton; (6) Ross Perot; (7) Spiro Agnew; (8) Prince Philip; (9) Person recalling holiday party; (10) James Watt; (11) John Rocker; and (12) Jesse Jackson.]