Robert E. Lee s not announcing football games
At first it seemed like a joke or a prank. Subsequent reports indicate that it is not.
ESPN really did remove an Asian American announcer from covering a football game because the man's name is Robert Lee.
Perhaps one of these reasons was behind their decision:
- The belief that some ESPN viewers cannot hear the name of the Confederate general without falling into a racist frenzy.
- A fear that even more viewers would hear Lee's name and ask, "Wait a minute. Is the announcer the same guy as the one in that statue?"
- The sales staff said their viewership was missing "sociology professors.".
- They simply had to outdo Six Flags Over Texas in the sensitivity sweepstakes.
- They have a sense of humor and wanted to beat The Onion to the story.