On August 17 I invited readers to submit a list of simple rules for leaders and managers.
David Radnell submitted an excellent list:
1. Provide the vision so the team has direction.
2. Set expectations of quality, behavior etc.
3. Isolate team as far as possible from external distractions, politics etc.
4. Provide feedback
5. Provide an environment where all team members feel empowered to contribute.
6. Minimize bureaucracy but measure what is important.
7. Focus on getting stuff done.
I would add:
- Do what you say you will do.
- Give as more attention to hiring a person than you do to buying a computer.
- Increase your courage by doing courageous things.
- Document wisely and promptly.
- Never tolerate cruelty or bigotry.
- Avoid sarcasm
- Fire carefully but without procrastination.
- Recognize that a bad attitude is bad performance.
- If you make a mistake, admit it.
- Don't inadvertently reward negative behavior.
- Develop your skills and their skills.
- Don't manage to the dysfunctional.
- Guard your time.
- Lead by example but also talk about key values.
- Be discreet but honest.
- Be trustworthy and foster a climate of trust.