Regardless of how you feel about the impeachment proceedings, there may come a time when escape is desirable. Here are some avenues:
- Exercise. A designated number of reps or minutes on a machine or simply walking may do wonders.
- Research. Harry Truman used to pick out a different country every year and read about it. Music, a specific historical event, and art are other great options.
- Immersion. How many of Shakespeare's plays have you read? How about Agatha Christie novels or John Steinbeck or Jane Austen? I am going to get back to re-reading the Aubrey-Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian.
- Nature. I have a fairly good knowledge of birds and animals but am very weak when it comes to trees or geology or constellations.
- Ah, but you may feel politics tugging at your sleeve. In that case, read an author with whom you are almost certain to disagree. Don't pick a straw man. Get a serious thinker. Call it escape by engagement.