Very Faint Praise
Several years ago, Lehigh University professor Robert J. Thorton developed the Lexicon of Inconspicuously Ambiguous Recommendations (LIAR). Some samples:
- "In my opinion, you will be very fortunate to get this person to work for you."
- "I most enthusiastically recommend this candidate with no qualifications whatsoever."
- "No person would be better for the job."
- "I would urge you to waste no time in making this candidate an offer of employment."
- "I cannot say enough to honestly recommend this person for employment."
Hmm. I think I'll reread some of my letters of recommendation this weekend.