Political Performance Skills
It is important to understand that in a great many jobs, good performance involves various political skills, such as:
- Pleasing community groups.
- Avoiding any complications with the board of directors.
- Staying out of the news.
- Giving and sharing credit.
- Not engaging in interdepartmental wars.
- Keeping staff members within certain boundaries.
- Using constant discretion in language and actions.
Fumble any of these and all other performance achievements may be neutralized. Some points may seem minor, but they have the potential to become major within seconds. They can be simply summarized: Be a solution, not a problem.