I was recently asked to serve on a committee for a community organization; an invitation that usually plunges me into full "escape and evade" mode. This was a pleasant exception and here are the reasons:
- The cause is a good one.
- I highly respect the person who contacted me.
- He's chairing the committee.
- The committee will be small.
- I know, like, and respect all of its members.
- I know that no one on that committee will permit it to fail.
- There is a clear and focused mission.
- We'll have enough time, but not too much time, to complete the mission.
- I believe I can make a positive difference.
- If we don't do this, it won't get done.
Oh yes, I'll also probably learn a lot.