[Photo by Pete Bellis at Unsplash]
"We hire on merit unless. . .
- it's a close relative of a friend or business associate."
- we need to get the feds off our back in which case we'll use quotas and deny that we ever did so."
- we hear otherwise from the boss."
- the person just looks the part."
- we find a clone of ourselves."
- Human Resources is off at a conference."
- it requires a lot of work."
- we are really in a hurry and don't have time to interview a bunch of people."
- we got to talking at a business conference and, over a few drinks, made a job offer. On a cocktail napkin."
- we think 'merit' is a racist concept meant to perpetuate white privilege."