Dumb Moves by Bosses
On a whim, I started listing the dumb moves that I've known bosses to make.
The following is by no means exhaustive and you're invited to add to it:
- Holding staff meetings on Friday afternoons just before 5 o'clock and then speaking for over an hour.
- Assigning inexperienced people to unusual projects and providing no training or guidance.
- Never walking through the work area to meet all of the employees.
- Giving an award to an employee in front of his wife and referring to the man as a "go-fer."
- Hiding from employees.
- Following employees and watching them with binoculars.
- Keeping time sensitive projects until the day before the due date and then delegating them to employees.
- Reading correspondence while meeting with employees.
- Reading email while meeting with employees.
- Checking the Blackberry during meetings with the boss's boss.
- Telling ethnic jokes to an EEOC investigator.
- Leaving Playboy magazines on the end table in the boss's office.
- Writing comments on a report that clearly show the boss has not really read the report.
- Receiving a resignation from the worst employee in the department and then talking him out of resigning.
- Letting top performers leave and not trying to persuade them to stay.
- Showing up drunk.
- Talking about ethics and then using racial quotas.
- Waving a pistol and declaring, "This is how we handle problems!"
- Posting a "mail order" diploma on the wall.
- Promoting a problem employee.