When You are in the Trenches
When you are in the trenches:
- You learn what to watch for and what to ignore.
- You know the importance of small pleasures.
- You quickly figure out who is very good, who talks a good game, who is quietly reliable, and who is dangerously inept.
- You know that rank and importance are not synonymous.
- You chew over information before swallowing it.
- You try to pick your own squad.
- You'd rather have dry socks than a brilliant speech.
- You romanticize neither your enemies nor your allies.
- You double-check.
- You are always ready to move.