Zombie Management Practices
A partial list of scary management practices which will not die:
- Inflating performance evaluations so marginal performance gets pushed up into "Meets Standards" or higher.
- Tolerating bullies if their numbers look good.
- Selecting an applicant on the basis of race, national origin or sex instead of whether he or she is the most qualified person for the job.
- Treating some jobs as if they are a lower caste.
- Issuing employee handbooks with harshly-worded employment at will language.
- Trying to come up with jazzy new names for what is more accurately called the Personnel Department.
- Monitoring performance via numbers that are obsolete by the time they are reviewed.
- Holding staff meetings that do nothing but waste time.
- Creating jobs that don't have a career ladder.
- Keeping job descriptions where the most accurate phrase is "other duties as assigned."
- Spending more time buying a new computer than selecting a new employee.
- Not doing what has been promised.
- Reading reports instead of going to see.
- Keeping people who pull down the entire team.
- Letting good performers leave without trying to persuade them to stay.