Five Questions for Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Officers
- Why should a person who arrived in this country a year ago and who is unlikely to have been a victim of discrimination while in this nation receive any hiring preference?
- Why should a daughter of a millionaire be given any hiring preference over the son of a mechanic?
- Why should a disabled employee who can no longer perform one job be automatically moved into another position in the organization even though doing so may close a promotional opportunity to another employee whose disability may be even more severe?
- If affirmative action is not synonymous with quotas, then why do so many affirmative action advocates assert that the specific banning of quotas will gut affirmative action?
- If preferences are given to attain diversity, won't that eventually lead to the setting of ceilings on the hiring of various groups once the magic representational figure has been reached for those groups?