There are times when the best thing to do is to be absent. Among those times are when:
- You need time to think;
- Your presence may be viewed as an endorsement of questionable activities over which you have little or no control;
- Your presence, due to your rank, will drain joy from what should be a happy occasion;
- You want to avoid making a commitment;
- The group is becoming overly dependent on your guidance;
- You have nothing constructive to contribute; and
- Your inner alarm system is saying, "Stay away."