An Incident at Starbucks
Location: A very busy Starbucks in north Phoenix.
Scenario: A middle-aged man in a polo shirt and shorts rushes in and orders a coffee. When the barista starts to ring up the order, the customer holds up a $100 bill and says, "This is all I've got." The barista calls over a manager and they start a lengthy search for change. The customer adds a newspaper to his purchase. A long line forms.
Conclusion of episode: The guy gets $93 in change, says a quick "Thanks" to the guy at the register, and departs.
Questions: I know where I fall on this matter but which one of the following responses reflects your views?
- The guy was an uncaring jerk. He should have waited until he had smaller bills.
- It's not his fault. Businesses should be able to handle such transactions without undue delay.
- It's not a big deal and I see no ethical issues.
- The guy was rude but he probably didn't realize it. Can't we all just get along?
- The staff should have told him they can't handle such large denominations. Stiff the weasel.
- Nothing here that a severe flogging wouldn't cure.