- Whenever the conversation drifts from how you can help them to how smart you are, then it is no longer about how you can help them.
- Listen as if you are translating a foreign language . . . because you are.
- The hesitations can be most of the message.
- If you sense something isn't quite right, you are correct.
- Early on, they think they know the problem and you think you know the solution. At least one of you may be wrong.
- Don't get frustrated if they fail to get quickly to the point. That path is often a winding one.
- Customers love status reports. [Note: Status is not the same as progress.]
- Be close enough to help and yet far enough to avoid being intrusive while always giving them the respect of your attention.