7 Fast Tips on Files
- If you can't find a file quickly, it is as good as gone. Eliminate files or make them easy to find. Keeping hard to find files only clogs up the filing system.
- You don't lose things in fat files. It's when you become too clever and have minifiles that you begin to lose things.
- Remember this variation of the 80/20 rule: 20 percent of your files are related to 80 percent of your projects. 80 percent of your files only relate to 20 percent of your projects. Why do you have them mixed in together? Set aside your hot files.
- Beware of using both Word and WordPerfect. WordPerfect generously lists Word documents as well as its own. Word swinishly lists only Word documents. Unfortunately, since most people use Word, it has the advantage.
- Devote at least 30 minutes a week to eliminating files or else the jungle will start to grow back.
- Complete your email filing once a day. Don't let email messages pile up. Delete them, act upon them, or put them in files.
- Ask associates not to copy you on emails unless your participation or review is absolutely necessary.