Lessons from Refugees
You can learn many valuable career and life lessons from successful refugees. Some significant ones are:
- Preserve the family. While the world, nation, and tribe may let you down, the family should there for you and you should be there for the family. Don't take it for granted.
- Protect your resources. Save money and live within your means.
- Everybody pitches in. No one is exempt from finding a way to help.
- Education is essential. It cannot be taken away from you and it will help each generation get further down the path.
- Limit entertainment. This charming friend can quickly become an enemy. Don't permit it to consume too much of your time.
- Maintain traditions but strive to assimulate. Separation from the mainstream will ensure failure. Learn the language and the customs.
- Be wary of government. Too much assistance can create dependency and dependency can be lethal.
- Focus on your business. Don't dissipate your energies with grand schemes. Hone your skills.
- Look for bargains and opportunities. Small savings accumulate and opportunities are all around you.
- Build a network of allies. Maintain it. Some day you will need those contacts.
- Subdue your ego. Avoid money-draining displays of status.
- Don't think like a victim. To the greatest extent possible, take control of your life.