Cultural Offering has a helpful list of things we should have in case of some dire emergency. I think my household has around 32 items, which rates three notches above pathetic. I'd add:
- One copy of "The Road" for tips on dealing with marauding bands of cannibals.
- Ponchos, because they look neat.
- Flares, for entertainment.
- Lawyers, guns and money, in deference to Warren Zevon. On second thought, we can skip the lawyers and money. But go for plenty of guns. I also like that sling shot idea.
- Gopher traps. [See "O Brother, Where Art Thou" for guidance.]
- Pop Tarts. Hurricane survivors swear by them.
- Small bottles of Wild Turkey, for use as currency.