We are committed to hiring the best qualified person. . . except when:
- It's inconvenient;
- We've already decided on our selection and are simply going through the motions;
- We are pressured to meet a diversity quota and so might bend standards a bit;
- We haven't made any serious effort to learn what the job requires;
- We don't know what "best qualified" means;
- We are afraid of someone with too many qualifications;
- We've so narrowly defined the concept that no one will qualify;
- We are responding to political pressure;
- We'd be embarrassed to have such a person see our operation;
- Our screening mechanisms weed out the best qualified.
Amen! It would be really funny if it weren't so true.
I'm not sure where I read it - but it was said that most companies don't hire the most qualified. They hire the people they feel will most fit in with their "culture" and will cost them the least....
I believe most employers want the answers to these questions:
1. Can I trust this person?
2. Will this person embarrass me?
3. Will this person fit in?
I think you're right on Michael!
Entrepreneur do things that are not generally done in the ordinary course of business. Some entrepreneurs become celebrities…others become ridiculed for their failed dreams. All contribute to the spirit of free enterprise. Entrepreneur Express is an Exploration of a Dream in the Making!!!
Post a Comment