The Ego Curtain
I once heard a speaker describe his ego as a heavy curtain that would block out the light every time it was drawn over his windows.
The ego becomes a barrier when:
- Our sales materials are more about our credentials than about the client's needs.
- We are so busy thinking of our clever response that we fail to listen to what the other person is saying.
- Our preoccupation with status causes us to get sidetracked from our mission.
- Our eagerness to avoid individual blame for blunders makes us discount how such avoidance can harm our organization.
- Our emphasis on image leads to extra costs that come at the expense of substance.