1. Choose a time and place when you will not be interrupted.
2. Don't add footnotes, exceptions, or modifiers and especially avoid any remark that implies the person "had it coming."
3. Linking your behavior to some larger issue like world affairs or the environment won't get you off the hook. Stay focused.
4. You may choose to explain your behavior but this is dangerous ground. Many explanations sound like justifications.
5. Keep it short. Long apologies often drift into irrelevant or harmful subjects.
6. Make eye contact.
7. Be sincere and sound sincere.