A championship athletic team that vanquishs the competition one year may not even come in third the next. Bouncing back from success can be as challenging as bouncing back from failure.
Why is that?
Here's a list of some common culprits:
- Hubris. "We're great. Who's going to beat us?"
- Fatique. "We're tired. Let someone else be Number One for a while."
- Contentment. "Fame is overrated. We have enough rings and trophies."
- Factions. "I put up with that prima donna last year in order to win the championship. I'm not doing that again."
- Companions. "I've got some new best friends and they all love me. I think."
- Last year's plan. "There's no need to reinvent the wheel. Let's run the same plays."
- Hidden adversaries. "I'm sure all of those folks who sacrificed to help us last year will want to do it again."