What Are You Doing?
What are you doing?
A great and truly profound question. Often, an honest answer would be:
- I'm doing this instead of another higher priority task that is difficult or unpleasant.
- I'm working on the glitzy components of the project because they're neat.
- I'm attempting to appear busy because the boss is around.
- I'm destroying my career.
- I'm undermining my team.
- I'm killing time while waiting for information or resources that will permit me to move to the next stage.
- I'm goofing off.
- I'm engaged in an informal effort to fend off depression.
- I'm working on the nearest project because I have no idea of this job's priorities.
- I'm pouring water on the highest flame.
- I'm trying to clear my mind.
- I'm taking a superficial action that will accomplish nothing other than to provide me with a response for whenever someone asks, "What are you doing?"